Sunday 4 May 2014

INTERVIEW WITH BIG-EYE ARTIST MISHA


Interview: Misha of Misha Art

Misha decided to take some time out to chat to us at JapanReviewer to tell us about her work so far, her past work, present and future art and what kind of commissions she has had. This discussion is more or less of what she likes in the anime and art world and what makes her tick - and, well, there are a couple
of fun questions at the end too!

Sandra: I have to say I love your style as its woodcut meets manga and
tattoo art, but not all your work is manga. You use arcade game
characters in your art - do you like playing arcade games in general?


Misha: I do enjoy playing arcade games as well as home console video games. My father was a computer programmer back in the 70's and loved games. We had Pong when it came out and I've had video games in my home ever since. I'm not really good at them, and rarely finish a game, but I enjoy playing and I love to watch others play.
Sandra: When you are not drawing, what are you getting up to?

Misha: I really haven't had much of a life lately. I spend most of my time either painting, drawing tattoos for clients, working on my own projects or doing research for projects. I haven't even had time for playing with my Wii! all I have time for is my husband and our 10 domesticated rats.. They are like little dogs and are endless hours of amusement.

Sandra: You like Margaret Keane's big-eyed girls, but whom else would
you cite as being influential to your work?


Misha: Although I do appreciate Keane, My original influence came from Manga and Anime. Artist that have had the biggest influences are: Greg Crayols Simkins, Camilla d'Arrico, Junko Mizuno and Trevor Brown to name a few.

Sandra: One thing that interested me was your foray into tattoo art.
Which of your tattoos have become widespread among the tattoo
community?


Misha: In my tattooing I am known for my bright colors, clean line work and my ability to do very difficult cover ups. I love doing the cover-ups because it's like solving a puzzle. Trying to turn something some one hates on their body, into their favorite tattoo.

Sandra: What did it feel like the first time you held your tattoo gun?
I've heard it's quite an experience?


Misha: I started tattooing  back in 1991 and I don't remember what holding my first tattoo machine was like. But I do remember what tattooing my first real skin was like. It felt so strange to have this vibrating thing in my hand and I was supposed to draw with it... I was terrified, but I did it.. I am glad many years are between me and that experience.

Sandra: I thought it was fun and original to put skulls inside the
cherry blossoms in "Geisha Zombies Don't Eat Sushi," and the smiley
faces in the hedges in the background of "Mad Mario's Tea Party," was
it easy to come up with your signature style?



Misha: My style was built over many years and changes often as new influences come to bear in my life. I'm sure it will continue to morph and grow in new ways as I live.

Sandra: You say you had your work in exhibitions in the US. Is your
work still being exhibited at la Luz de Jesus, Cannibal Flower and
Project?


Misha: For now I am showing at Gallery 1988 in several group shows, as well as a few small galleries and boutique stores. I am working to add a few new galleries to my line up by the end of this year.

Sandra: Gold or silver, and why?


Misha: For my art I prefer to paint with gold and golden tones.. For me personally, I prefer to wear silver (gold make my skin look bad).


Sandra: What are your favourite video games?

Misha: I love Super Swing Golf, I am still playing it after all these years.. I love the whole Mario franchise, the games are so fun and cute. My very favorite is Animal Crossing. It has all that I love; it is cute, It has customization in parts and it is a long story line so I can play the same game for years!

Sandra: When you aren't drawing or tattooing, what occupies your spare time?

Misha: Spare time??? what is that?? No really , I am a workaholic.

Misha's website:
http://www.misha-art.com/art/artmain.htm 

No comments:

Post a Comment