Thursday 21 May 2015

MANGA INTERVIEW: WITH MAANGELS PLANS

Manga Interview with MaAngels Plans

MaAngels' art is both inspiring and inspired with manga and Art Nouveau overtones. The look dares the viewer to look twice at the images created, and many are easy to admire - from fan art to MaAngels own work - here is the artist who decided to tell us more about her work.


JapanReviewer: Your artwork is different as it seems to fuse the older Disney look with a newer Japanese manga style. What made you want to
do this?

MªÀngels: I started developing this style when I was in the second year of illustration. There I considered changing my way of drawing manga thanks to my teacher. Everything came to an exercise that we had in class where we had to illustrate a poem, the kind of drawing; roundy and stocky, and as I liked, I decided to see what would happen if I combined my old style of manga and left the beginning of my style that I have developed later.

JapanReviewer: Your fan art of Sailor Moon and Dragonball is a welcome look at two different characters from two very opposite sides of the genre, shojo and shonen - was it your intention to do that with your art?

MªÀngels: This drawing I did it for my friend's birthday because he likes a lot Dragonball and I wanted to characterize him because of that and Sailor Moon's it's me, because is one of my favourites manga. Equally I have no problem to combining genres.

JapanReviewer: I notice you are into cosplay. How long have you been attending conventions?

MªÀngels: Until recently I not usually going to convention, because I could not afford it, because it is a bit far from where I live but for a while I go to many convention and in the last "Salon del Manga de Barcelona" I went cosplaying of Super Sailor moon :P


JapanReviewer: I've noticed a lot of Super Sailor Moon cosplay you've done, why Super Sailor Moon?

MªÀngels: Because with all the transformations of Sailor Moon is the best I like, I think that it is very colourful and elegant, so it is my favourite :)

JapanReviewer: Who is your most famous fan?

MªÀngels: My sister :), she always supported me in what I do and in keep trying to publish my works.

JapanReviewer: I'm not surprised you have got your Iron Man art print up on Society6 - it's a really well drawn stand out piece of art - with some nice Art Nouveau tweaks. Is Art Nouveau one of your favourite art styles?

MªÀngels: Yes, one of my favourites because it has very good decorations and is very elegant in drawings. As a lover of detail I like this kind of art because it reminds me of the Victorian era in England, of which I am a big fan. The detail of the drawing of Iron Man I did it because I want to make a drawing together with all the Avengers and it fits for the image :D



JapanReviewer: Will you ever or have you ever produced an art book of your favourite works?

MªÀngels: Yes, I thought in that, but for now I'm trying to publish one of my manga, Akuun, but certainly when I have enough pictures I will make an art-book with a variety of my illustrations.

JapanReviewer: Your Iron Man print might be good, but I must admit to loving your Loki one more. The limited colour scheme of green and gold works perfectly. How would you go about drawing Griffith from the anime/manga Berserk?

MªÀngels: Thanks to evaluate my fanarts! I love the look of Griffith and his armour that has the form of angel wings, one of the things that stand out most are details, stressing them and accentuating the light and shadows would do much to highlight the drawing. His hair also give much play in creating a good composition, I would make sure that his hair frames the drawing. I love curly or wavy hair! XD

JapanReviewer: Your art style stays the same, yet you have an excellent grasp of using media such as pencils, inks, pens etc. Are you self taught, or were you originally an art student?

MªÀngels: I have always been self-taught since my beginning, reading books of How drawing manga and guiding me in the manga that was watching, and yes I have studied arts, I studied in a artistic high school and then I studied illustration and this helped me improve my technique and discover new ways to draw. But mainly I have always done by my own :)

JapanReviewer: Fans need to know - which convention are you going to attend this year and are you attending as an artist or cosplayer?

MªÀngels: I'm attending Tanabata Fest 2015 on July 11 as an artist in a fanzine called Shinsedai with my two stories: "Love Luna" and "Akuun". I'm also attending "Salon del Manga de Barcelona" on October mainly as a visitor cosplaying as Sailor Venus.

You can view the artist's work here as well as more information on her blog:

https://megamislegna.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment